Creative Curriculum History and Geography
At Ettington, we believe in providing our children with varied opportunities to use and develop the gifts and talents they have been blessed with, to ensure they embrace “Life in its fullness” John 10:10. We ensure that creative curriculum focuses on the knowledge and skills of History and Geography whilst also making links to all subjects across the curriculum. We have carefully chosen our topics to ensure that they show the children the links between learning at school and real life. Links are made to high quality texts, real life problems involving mathematical concepts and scientific knowledge to gain a better understanding of the world. We aim to begin each creative curriculum topic with an exciting hook. This may be an art activity, an outdoor learning opportunity or even a trip.
We understand the importance of extending the children’s vocabulary with topic specific language. Vocabulary is displayed consistently in all classrooms in a uniform colour so the children can use these words across all subjects. Curriculum overviews and knowledge organisers are used to highlight the vocabulary, knowledge and skills for each topic. These are shared with children and parents to ensure that learning continues at home.
- Inspire children’s curiosity to learn about the past.
- Understand the diversity of societies and complexities of people’s lives.
- Understand their own identities and the challenges of our time.
- Understand natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
- To inspire a curiosity about the world that should remain with them throughout their lives.
A creative curriculum is one in which students learn through creative and active teaching strategies and our aim is to help children become independent, self-confident, inquisitive and enthusiastic learners, developing life-long skills that they can use now and in the future.